Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pray For Ty (Day 21)

Midterms can be a hectic week; filled with tests, late night study sessions, and in between planning for a wonderful spring break. When tragedy hits during a time like this we all remember that life doesn't stop just because school did. Today I want to dedicate my blog to a boy named Ty Osman and to the wonderful Harding family I've gotten to call my own. Ty was driving to Dallas, my hometown, for spring break with his friends. Being a freshman in college this had to be an exciting experience for him. Frist time on his own, with some people he must love, and getting to finally experience that college spring break we've all anticipated at least once in our life. While they were traveling down I-30 the car in front of Ty's was hit. He decided to pull over and help his friends. As he was doing so he was hit by another car. Ty was care-flighted to the hospital in Longview and is now in critical condition.

The events that happened are tragic and my prayers are constantly being sent up for him, his family, the other students involved, and their families. But one thing I can say that has been positive is the reaction the other students, "family members", of Harding University. All of us had our own plans to get out and be free for a week. We planned fun, relaxation, and most importantly escape from the real world. But we have enough love in our hearts that we are willing to give a part of that up to come together and support Ty. Facebook, Twitter, and social media have been blown up with prayers, campaigns, support for these kids. I can't get on Facebook or Twitter without seeing the words "Pray For Ty". Profile pictures have been changed to a poster with him on it, hash tags have been coined so anyone can be kept updated. Even a blog has been constructed. Dr. Burks and a few of the other deans flew over to Longview to comfort his family. Harding also flew Ty's family to the hospital. This non-blood related family of mine is the strongest I've ever seen. Never have I been so proud to say I'm a part of Harding University.

This isn't the first time Harding's ever backed causes before. Tsunami in Haiti; we raise more money than expected. Tornado in Vilonia; students skip school to help with relief. MANA comes; we wipe out their merchandise and donate hundreds more. I'm honestly not trying to brag about my school. We have our flaws just like every other University. We mess up, we have scandals, but you better believe we are a family. Nothing can keep us from supporting our fellow brothers and sisters. That is why I am so proud to be a part of this. Most of these students don't know who Ty is but that doesn't keep us from wanting to support him! He's loved because he's in need and close to our hearts. Once a part of Harding, always a part of Harding. I love my family and am proud to say I'm apart of it.

If you want to keep updated on Ty's recovery check out his blog. http://prayingforty.blogspot.com/
Here's a news report of the wreck. It blew my mind how bad it was. http://www.ksla.com

Don't forget to keep praying!!
"And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well;
the Lord will raise him up." - James 5:15


No comments:

Post a Comment