Thursday, May 9, 2013

Acts of Kindness (Day 449)

It was a dreadful day at the restaurant. I was upset with my coworkers, the guy I was training, and pretty much everything else. But just a few minutes ago as I was reflecting on my day with God, my heart was nudged by something I had done.

As I prayed, I told God I didn't think I was a kind person. Not just today but in most of my life. I wanted to be like Rebekah. The woman who was so generous she not only gave water to Abraham's servant but also to ten of his camels. That my friends takes a lot of generosity. A camel drinks up to 25 gallons of water and to water ten is a daunting task. So I told him that. I told him that I felt like a selfish person and for some reason my mind flashed to an event that happened today.

I really don't want to write about this because I know you might think I'm bragging, but without saying it I can't bring glory to God. I had the privilege to serve five very kind and high-spirited women today. They were my first table so I was able to give them extra attention. I had them laughing at my jokes and comments all morning. They truly were a cheerful bunch. When it finally came time for them to pay, one of the women was fumbling to get cash out. She handed me the tray with the change on it and said, "I think I made that right, you should get two dollars for a tip." I told her I'd check and tell her if it was wrong. As I was making change for the other women, I counted out hers and saw that she gave me five dollars for a tip instead. I made change and gave her the three dollars back. The women's faces were surprised but very thankful at the same time. She told me how kind I was to be honest and not take advantage of her.

I just want to thank God for reminding me of that. I truly am my worst critic. I judge myself so harshly at times and tonight was one of those times. I don't believe what I did was anything special, it was just right. But in a world broken by sin the right thing can stand out and make one look kind. Without Him I wouldn't have done that. I would have taken the three dollars and never told her she made change wrong. He has been what has made my heart kind, what has allowed love to grow. I am so thankful my heart is not cold and dead, but alive because He lives in it. Praise the Lord!


Also, something I thought about a few minutes after posting this. I am thankful God put my in a position where I can talk and be kind to people I don't know. I've had a few bad waitresses/waiters in my life. They are vague memories, but the ones that I remember very clearly are the ones that made me feel important and the ones who seemed to actually care. I may pray everyday for the chance to quit but I will always be thankful that I might be able to be the person to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment