Sunday, November 11, 2012

Adjusting, Quite Well I Might Add (Day 266/267/268/269/270/271/272)

It's been a long but extremely enjoyable week. I should of written about this on day one but time got away from me. This job has been an amazing blessing. I have gotten in my car after work every day and smiled. I've just smiled. I've fallen into a job that I didn't believe existed. The kids took to me immediately. It didn't take much to gain their trust and respect. I have already fallen in love with them and it makes my day to hear "are you our coach today?!" I love making up the workouts, researching on how to make each workout effective, learning new ways to teach technique skills. It doesn't seem like a job.

Thursday, I was able to sit and talk more with the kids during a high school meet we all attended. I could tell they enjoyed me being around as they opened up more about their lives. I'm so thankful I can be a mentor and not just their coach. I want to help guide them through these years. I know their age isn't the easiest. With all the peer pressure and the need to fit in, it can be hard to just be yourself. I hope to teach them that who they are is beautiful, perfect, and on purpose.

Then tonight I got to hear a dear friend of mine speak at church. And after a few of us went out to dinner and played a simple, yet intense game of Apples to Apples. It's been awhile since I've played the staple college board game. Didn't do to shabby either, but still didn't win. I really enjoyed their company. I haven't been able to spend much time with these people since I left Tulsa this summer.

It's been quite the week. Might be the best one I've ever spend in Tulsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment